April 8, 2022, 2:35pm
Academy Bans Violent Actor Will Smith from Attending Oscar Ceremonies for 10 Years
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has ruled on Friday that Will Smith will be banned from attending the Oscar ceremonies for the next ten years after the actor slapped comedian Chris Rock in the face for making a joke about his wife’s hair.
“During our telecast, we did not adequately address the situation in the room. For this, we are sorry. This was an opportunity for us to set an example for our guests, viewers and our Academy family around the world, and we fell short – unprepared for the unprecedented,” Academy President David Rubin and CEO Dawn Hudson said in a statement on Friday.
“Today, the Board has decided, for a period of 10 years from April 8, 2022, Mr. Smith shall not be permitted to attend any Academy events or programs, in person or virtually, including but not limited to the Academy Awards,” the letter stated.
“We want to express our deep gratitude to Mr. Rock for maintaining his composure under extraordinary circumstances. We also want to thank our hosts, nominees, presenters and winners for their poise and grace during our telecast.”
TRENDING: HUGE BLOW TO FAKE NEWS AND FBI: Zero Guilty Verdicts in Case of Alleged Plot to Kidnap Leftist Governor Whitmer - Not Guilty Verdict for 2, Hung Jury on 2 Including Ring Leader!
“This action we are taking today in response to Will Smith’s behavior is a step toward a larger goal of protecting the safety of our performers and guests, and restoring trust in the Academy. We also hope this can begin a time of healing and restoration for all involved and impacted,” the letter concluded.
The Academy bans Will Smith from attending the Oscars and any other Academy events for 10 years:
11:54 AM · Apr 8, 2022
Last week, the Academy of Motion Pictures announced they would take appropriate action against Will Smith for assaulting this year’s host Chris Rock on stage during the ceremony and then screaming f-bombs at Rock from his seat in the front row. Such a class act.
The Academy previously revealed that they asked Will Smith to leave the awards show after Smith’s vicious assault, but he refused. This was not the case.
“Oscars producer Will Packer came out around the same time and said Smith should stay. There was never a chance for Smith to “refuse” to leave, the insiders said, nor did anyone in the Academy directly speak to the actor about such a request,” according to The Hollywood Reporter.